BarCamp is an ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from attendees, usually centered around design & technology topics. If you're not familiar with what BarCamp is, I'd recommend reading the rules.
|Who||Anyone in Grand Rapids, MI (and surrounding areas) who loves technology or design.|
|When||Friday evening, August 15 and Saturday, August 16. See the schedule for more information.|
|Where||Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI -- North Hall, 1st Floor (see the map) |
|Cost||Free! But everyone is encouraged to present something and be involved, even if you're never given a talk before.|
Event tag: barcampgrandrapids3, #bcgr3 on twitter Optional tags: barcampgrandrapids barcamp
You may also want to subscribe to one of the two mailing lists:
It would be nice to have some pre-gathering preparation on some topics. Post topics you're thinking about talking about, or want to discuss. You can also look at past years to get a feel for what may take place.
- Working with Google APIs
- Cool Features of Your Favorite CMS
- Ruby on Rails, introduction and simple functioning example demonstrated
- Anyone interested in Coldfusion?
- Displaying quantitative information (charts, graphs, maps, etc)
- Undo in Web Apps
- What's Happening in the Open Educational Resources movement (OERs)
- Intro to Flex
- Exploring Firebug (including 3rd party tools such as YSlow and FirePHP)
- Roundtable discussion on our favorite underused HTML
- DeveloperMindForTheDesignerKind - An inversion of Kyle's DesignEyeForTheItGuy
- Video Sharing Smackdown - what's your favorite site?
- Core Conversations: Working with Virtual Teams
- Using Git, the "open source, distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency."
- Using Mocks to help Unit Test code (Language Agnostic)
- Practical introduction to XSL
- Experiences with Open Source Content Management Systems (CMS) (LifeRay, etc.)
- Experiences with Open Source Network Management Systems (NMS) (Zenoss, etc.)
- Experiences with Open Source Security Management Systems (OSSIM etc.)
Need inspiration? Topics from other BarCamps
If you'd like to sponsor BarCampGrandRapids3 in some way, please e-mail the hosts listed below. For more information about BarCamp (for prospective sponsors), feel free to peruse the sponsorship frequently asked questions.
A hearty thanks to these sponsors:
- Venue: Calvin College Computer Science department
- Food: Gordon Food Service
- Food: Subway
- Misc. Expenses: Ryma
- Misc. Expenses: Elevator Up
- USB Thumbdrives: Atomic Object
- Coffee: Biggby Coffee
- Social Outing: SageTech
- White Boards: CIG JAN Products LTD.
- Audio Recording: Coefficient Media
- Grand Rapids Java Users Group
- Kyle Adams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dave Brondsema email@example.com
- Carlus Henry
- Casey DuBois firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Porritt